August 8, 2017 - Valley Brook Country Club
More than 132 golfers hit the links “Fore” the love of local high school graduates. Supporters of The Pittsburgh Italian Scholarship Fund “teed” up support for some very academically qualified, college bound students getting ready to embark on their continuing education. The Thirty-fifth Annual Golf Classic fundraising event was held Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at Valley Brook Country Club, with one mission in mind – to help “chip” away at the staggering costs of today’s college tuition rates.
Attendees enjoyed an Italian Buffet Lunch before an 11:45 am shot-gun start to play eighteen holes on one of the South Hills’s premier courses. Afterwards, guest gathered for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres before the evening program commenced. Festivities included the presentation of the 2017Pittsburgh Italian Scholarship Fund Woman of the Year Award which highlights a local Pittsburgher of Italian decent who has demonstrated meritorious distinction in his or her profession. This year the Pittsburgh Italian Scholarship Fund took great pride in honoring Carol Massaro.
Selection Chairman, Ben DelPrince commented, “Mrs. Carol Massaro will be joining a very prestigious list of past honorees. We are very pleased to recognize her for her accomplishments and contributions to our scholarship winners.”
Highlights of the evening program also included honoring the following 2017 Pittsburgh Italian Scholarship Fund Recipients. Please join us in congratulating the following local students:
- Joshua Arch is a 2017 graduate of Hampton High School . He plans to attend California University of Pennsylvania an major in athletic training.
- Courtney Brennan received the John H. Pelusi, Sr. and Geno Thomaselli Graduate Scholarship. She will pursue her law degree from Duquesne University School of Law.
- Daniel Florentino is a 2017 graduate of Peters Township Area High School. He plans to attend Washington & Jefferson and major in Mathematics.
- Caitlyn Frolo received the Mammarelli Scholarship Award. She is a 2017 graduate of Monessen High School and plans to attend St. Vincent College and major in Communications.
- Dante Marcucci is a 2017 graduate of Burgettstown High School. He plans to attend Penn State University and major in Mathematics.
- Steven Montalbano received the Barsotti/Poli Famly Scholarship Award. He is a 2017 graduate of St. Joseph High School and plans to attend the University of Pittsburgh where he will pursue his law degree in Computer Science.
- Benjamin Stanszewski received the Scallo Family Scholarship Award. He is a 2017 graduate of St. Joseph High School and plans to attend the Franciscan University of Steubenville where he will pursue his degree in Business.
- Nicholas Ungarino is a 2017 grauate of Northgate High School. He plans to attend Penn State University and major in Aerospace Engineering.
- Noelle Vann received the Frank Santamaria Scholarship Award. She will be continuing her education at the University of South Alabama where she will pursue her Ph.D. in Clinical and Counseling Psychology.
- Miranda Zarlino received the Gambino and Petrelli Families Scholarship Award. She is a 2017 graduate of Thomas Jefferson High School and plans to attend Duquesne University where she will pursue her degree in Early Childhood Education.
“The 2017 Woman of the Year Award is very meaningful to me. I am honored to be recognized by this wonderful organization. God Bless you all." said Carol Massaro.